So, funny thing…I could have posted my music post this morning as it seems…My tendency of hardly sleeping was not taken into consideration yesterday when I wrote that post…Oh well. INSTEAD, I have another fun “Beautiful Books’ linkup from Cait over at Paper Fury. Today’s is talking about Editing and A bit more about how ones NaNoWriMo Novel (or just Novel if you didn’t do NaNoWriMo) went and what their plans are for it.
As you all know, My NaNo Novel ‘Aimlessly Wandering’ is not complete (only about halfway done.) but that is not stopping me from doing this awesome linkup!
1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?
Well, as I said before, I havent finished the first draft yet, but so far as to how it turned out, I would say maybe a 5 or 6.
2. Have you ever rewritten or edited one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I actually have 🙂 I just finished final edits on my novel ‘Holding on To Grace’ but there was a fair amount of rewriting and editing for that one….I think I will just prepare myself for this one by stocking up on tea and chocolate…
3. What’s your final wordcount? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?
Well, I’m only at 33k at the moment (not done yet) and I’m gonna aim to get my WC to at least 50k but it could be a little longer. But I already know there will be lots of lengthening/trimming later too…
4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?
Characters!!! Okay…and maybe the plot. I am NEVER proud of my pacing at this point in a draft EVER. The pacing is always wayyyyyy to quick.
5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?
6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?
Pacing 😛 That is definitely gonna need some work. I’m also working on my Showing and not Telling skills because for some reason I seem to lack it…and BAD. Don’t believe me? Ask my critique partner/Beta reader for both HoTG and Thirteen Gigabytes…
7. What aspect of your book is your favourite?
I love the plot and the characters so……Yeah. 😛
8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?
I would say they are fairly well-rounded characters…or most of them. Some of them still need a little work. So there might be a little bit of fixing up in that area.
9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?
Ummm…I would outline everything BEFORE NaNoWriMo instead of being lazy and waiting then outlining as I went 😄 I think that would eliminate the possibility of having to remove some things when I edit this novel 😄
10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?
This whole stuff with my character Josh was a huge surprise. Guys, he was only supposed to be in the prologue… That was it. But then so much was connected to him and…gosh. It was surprising. As for scenes and characters, I didn’t have much planned out scene wise when I went into this thing so I guess I could say nothing turned out differently there. I know that Kirsten (my main characters foster mother) turned out a little different than I expected but it’s all good. She’s still awesome.
11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?
Heh…about that. There is *supposed* to be one…but let’s just say I miiiiiight need to work on bringing that out a bit more. I mean, obviously that theme/message is still there but I need to make it more noticeable….How I’m gonna do that just yet, I don’t know but I’ll figure it out.
12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?
Love writing with deadlines! Love love love it! I’m actually planning my own NaNoWriMo type deadlines for the New Year. It shall be wonderful! (I just have WAYYYYYY too many novels that need to be done and more ideas constantly popping in my head)
13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)
Ummm. To be honest I have NO idea…let me think on that one for a second…I have seriously got nothing. I think because it’s not finished is probably why. Since I don’t know the entirety or the novel it’s hard to compare…
14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!
Even though I have actually finished a novel in entirety (all rounds of edits done) I have not ONCE celebrated a finished novel. Usually when I finish I will tell my mum and she will cheer and we get all excited and I do a weird little dance…that mum may or may not join in on…. but thats about it. I DO wanna celebrate in some way…whether its going and buying some cool gadget thing for my computer or a new pen or notebook or even CHOCOLATE, I don’t really care but I need to celebrate somehow…
15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?
I want them to come away with a feeling of Hope and that things, though they may seem hard, can get better and will…That is my goal for most my YA Novels but others may pull something out of it that I never saw…but yeah. That’s the feeling I want people to come away with…
So, that’s the linkup! I suggest heading over to paperfury.com and jumping in on the linkup train! Tons of fun, trust me!
So, I must go get a freakishly HUGE amount of Math Homework done before I go away for the weekend…I’ve got 5 hours before departure and I haven’t even packed yet either!
So, Until Next Time
P.S This weekend will have TONS of free time so I’m hoping to have at least one review on either the first Harry Potter book or the Maze Runner 😀